In 2016, we travel different places for events, pleasure and quite frankly just cause. Our destinations ranged from Houston to New York; and every month it seemed like we were either getting on a plane or jumping in the car.
During our 2017 planning session, we found the need to consult with someone who was well travelled, informative and a foodie guru; because we love good eats. Immediately, the fabulous Shasha (@busybeingshasha) came to mind.
We meet over coffee at the DrugStore Cowboy in Deep Ellum. The atmosphere was inviting and the drinks were fresh, hot and hit the spot. Shasha came prepared with her top travel tips and even customized suggestions on the spot based on where we were traveling. In total amazement, we quickly typed as she poured wisdom into us that we could immediately apply professionally and personally.
Without hesitation, sharing this goldmine was a no brainer!
- Be prepared: Once you know where you are going, you need to immediately start preparing. Necia packs for the Littles and herself and tends to over pack while Steph packs light and at the last minute. Knock Knock pads give you a list that you can customize and check off as you go. These pads are available At Home and will help you stay organized while ensuring everything you need comes with you.
- Be in the Know: Research the area you are traveling to and identify what freebies your hotel, local visitor’s bureau or venues have to offer: Over packing, thinking and panicking can be eliminated by verifying what is provided. You don’t know if you don’t ask and close mouths don’t get fed-so ask before you go.
- Be flexible: Booking your travel is cheaper and better if you have flexible dates and not rigid dates. This can be a challenge at times, because of PTO and life in general. However, doing this will help to get you lower rates for hotels and flights.
- Be sure to invest: There is nothing like dragging your luggage to get ready to check and BAM! You hear something snap and you have lost a handle! True story. This happed to Steph when heading to New Orleans for Essence & the New Orleans Natural Hair Expo. It might seem that you are saving money buying a cheaper alternative, but if you want to have solid items, invest in quality travel gear. Always remember to research user ratings and decide which option works best for you. Once you have determined your fav try to catch it on sale Ross & HomeGoods as they always seem to have a great selection at an affordable price.
- Be adventurous: Try out new restaurants wherever you travel to. Don’t be a tourist act a local. With that being said please, please for the love of all things holy do not go to Chili’s or Applebee’s. That is SO boring! Find some local spots by checking out reviews on Yelp. A few years ago, we traveled to Galveston for a quick getaway and ate at ShyKatZ Deli & Bakery it was so good! They were actually filming Diners, Drive-ins and Dives while we were there-excitement to compliment the good grub. (Always a WIN)
If you are traveling soon, want to travel or just need to pick through her brain contact Shasha today to schedule your very own customized working session or consultation, she is the TRUTH.